Friday 9 March 2012

My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult- Novel Review

I brought my copy of “My Sister’s Keeper” to several different places with me; on the bus, luas, dart, at a cafe and even on an airplane, but no matter where I was, or even who was paying attention to me, I still emotionally responded as if I was at home all by myself, which yes including me trying to cover up my tears to a waitress who was trying to take my order. The incredible thing with “My Sister’s Keeper” is that Picoult manages to utterly draw you into the dramatic family life of the Fitzgerald’s and no matter where you are or who you are with you become totally engrossed in this novel that your surroundings disappear and the Fitzgerald’s household replaces it.

This intense family drama is based on the life of the Fitzgerald’s but the main narration of the story is told through the youngest child eyes. The novel begins with the narrator Anna explaining how she was born for a “specific purpose”, she was genetically conceived to save her sister Kate’s life. Kate was diagnosed at the age of two with a rare form of Leukaemia (APL), and since their other child, Jesse isn’t a match, strong willed parents Sara and Brian decide to have Anna as a perfect genetic match in order for her to become a donor for Kate. Sara explains to Anna “We loved you even more because we knew what exactly we were getting” From cord blood to lymphocytes to bone marrow and now to her own kidney, it isn’t surprising when Anna seeks lawyer Campbell Alexander advice in order for her to sue her parents “for the rights of her own body”

 Jesse the rebel of the family seems to be constantly in trouble with the police, as a reader we empathise with this character as he tries to get any form of attention from his parents who are constantly focused on Kate. Once Anna gets in contact with Mr. Alexander, Jesse warns “Don’t mess with the system Anna, we’ve all got our scripts down pat. Kate plays the Martyr. I’m the Lost Cause. And you, you’re the Peacekeeper”

But for Kate’s respect, love and loyalty to all the family and her bravery towards her disease, she makes in my opinion my favourite and most inspirational character

A particular scene which impacted me in the novel was when Sara was trying to convince Kate to go to the Mall with herself and Anna, however Kate being greatly worried about how people will stare at her and think of her as a “freak” In an attempt to show Kate that personal appearance does not matter she shaves off all of her and Anna’s hair. The three of them go hairless and simply care free to the Mall. Sara states “We are beautiful, times three”

“My Sister’s Keeper” is beautifully written. It is expressed simply in order to get through to all readers, which leaves a strong impact. The use of dramatic dialogue is carried out throughout the story, which makes this novel a page turner. It is as if we dying to hear what different characters will say and react, “Why won’t you realise that Kate is dying?” A technique worth mentioning is in each chapter, a different character is the narrator. We get to hear their thoughts, views, and insights into life which makes the reader feel as if we know each character personally.

I feel that Picoult is an optimistic and pessimistic writer. I feel she is optimistic when she writes about the unbreakable bond the two sisters share but however severely pessimistic in relation to Kate’s life long illness and the dramatic twist in the end.

Even though it is a tear-jerker and at sometimes extremely hard to read, I would recommend this novel to everyone because it will make you appreciate your life even more and have a deep impact on how you think and feel.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Aoife :O I truly enjoyed reading this review! So much that I actually went and read the book. Well done on this excellent review! I look forward to reading your future blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh thanks so much Laura! Hope you enjoyed the book also, I thought it was amazing! :O <3 x

    ReplyDelete